It’s Friday. For many of you it was the first full week back of 2019, so I’ll keep it short and sweet! Here are 5 quick tips to help you be just a little bit healthiest in an instant:
- Stop drinking your calories. Switch from regular milk to almond or oat milk in your coffee. Switch from soft drinks to naturally flavored sparkling water. You may not love it at first, but give your taste buds time to adapt and I bet eventually you won’t even crave the old drink you were having!
- Fill in what your workout is missing. If you are a runner and most of your workouts are cardio based, add in some strength training because it’s good for your bones and longevity. If you are a powerlifter and most of your workouts are strength based, get outdoors and do a little cardio because it’s good for your heart.
- Do something for 3 minutes per day that slows you down & reduces your stress. I have SO many clients who tell me their stress level is at a 10 out of 10 and then when I ask what they are doing to work on their stress, crickets. So take a few minutes out of your day, set an alarm on your phone to remind, you and I bet you’ll feel more focused and a little less stressed.
- Double your vegetables. (Obviously, if you’re already eating a ton of vegetables or a vegetarian diet you’re probably fine.) For most people, I find they are only getting a small portion of vegetables at dinner. Double that dinner portion and/or try to get some veggies in at lunch too. Bonus points for varying the color of your vegetables.
- Start your day with 20 grams of protein. Do you feel hungry all day long? Feel like your cravings and energy levels are all over the place? There’s a large chance you’re starting your day with something well intentioned (like fruit, yogurt or oatmeal), but if that healthy carb source isn’t paired with a protein (or a fat) there’s a large chance you’ll end up hungry very soon and they have a backwards battle to face with protein. Protein, when paired with a carb, helps to make the glucose and insulin spikes much less severe. Which equals a much less sugar crashing you!